Today, April 2nd, is World Autism Day. We’ve compiled some great ways for you to get involved in Autism awareness and learn more.
- Look Me in the Eye: My life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison
- Raising Cubby: A Father and Son’s Adventures with Asperger’s, Trains, Tractors, and High Explosives by John Elder Robison
- John was diagnosed with Asperger’s at the age of forty. Look Me in the Eye details his childhood while Raising Cubby addresses his unique approach to fatherhood. Both books give a humorous inside look into one individual’s life with Asperger’s.
- Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
- The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger’s by Temple Grandin
- The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin (New Release May 2013)
- Temple Grandin is a success professional as well as a prominent advocate, author, and speaker on the topic of autism. She shares her personal experience as an individual diagnosed with autism.
- The Journal of Best Practices by David Finch
- David Finch’s memoir is filled with honesty, humor and obvious love for his wife. He strives to become the best husband he can be while understanding his new diagnosis of Autism.
- The Golden Hat: Talking Back to Autism by Kate Winslet and Margret Erricsdottir
- Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant by Daniel Tammet
- Ian’s Walk: A Story about Autism by Laurie Lears
- My Brother Sammy is Special by Becky Edwards
- Since We’re Friends by Celeste Shally
- Seeing Through New Eyes: Changing the Lives of Children with Autism, Asperger Syndrome and other Developmental Disabilities through Vision Therapy by Melvin Kaplan, OD
- Dr. Kaplan details the change and success seen by his vision therapy patients through the use of yoked prism glasses and vision therapy.
- The Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism by Rosa, Myers, Ditz, Willingham, Greenburg
- Unstrange Minds by Richard Grinker
- 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism or Asperger’s by Ellen Notbohm and Veronica Zysk
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon
- Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
- House Rules by Jodi Picoult
- Wild Ride Up the Cupboards by Ann Bauer
- Wish by Melina Gerosa Bellows
- Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Cholodenk
- Daniel Isn’t Talking by Marti Leimbach
- Rules by Cynthia Lord
- Temple Grandin
- Talk to Me: A documentary film about children with autism
- Autism is a World – CNN
- Loving Lampposts: Living Autistic
- Behind the Glass Door: Hannah’s Story
- A Mother’s Courage: Talking Back to Autism